Saturday, June 7, 2014

Pay Day Came Twice This Week!

Boy, I have been really bad about writing!  But, I have to talk about my amazing experience this past week here at EFY!  For those of you that don't know, EFY stands for "Especially For Youth".  It is a religious camp that brings youth together from all over the world for a week.  During that week they participate in games, group activities, dances, a variety show, as well as morning sides, musical firesides, and testimony meetings.  The objective of EFY is to "strengthen youth in their commitment to live the gospel of Jesus Christ by providing inspiring, edifying learning opportunities and wholesome social experiences."  The ages of the participants range from 13-18 years of age.  The participants come in on Monday and then leave early (7:30am) on Saturday.  So, I get to spend my summer bringing youth to Christ!

This last week was my first week as a counselor (last week I was being trained).  I was in the biggest section for this week!  We had about 1,100 participants just in our section!  There were two other sections and I'm not sure how big they were.  In my company we had four counselors (total) and about forty participants; the three other counselors and I both did our training last week.  However, we all got along incredibly well and had a blast this last week.

I have to say, this week started really rough.  I was feeling a lot of stress because I had a job interview, this was my first week as a counselor, being offered the job I had just had an interview for, I was (and am) tired, and I wasn't sure if I was going to bring these participants closer to God or not.  By the second day (Tuesday) I was so completely overwhelmed because I had so much on my mind and plate that I was having a hard time feeling the spirit.  Not only that, but I felt like I wasn't clicking with everybody in my company.  When I imagined myself as an EFY counselor, I always saw myself connecting with EVERYBODY in my company.  I learned this week that that won't always be the case the first few days.  But, by the end of the week, they will love you and appreciate the things you did for them.

I ended up accepting the job and am now planning on moving to Nampa, Idaho after EFY is finished.  However, the stress continues to build as I try to find an apartment and get everything together for work.  But whatever comes this summer, I know the Lord is in the details.

EFY Games Night--Provo 2A with Mogapi (mo-ha-pi)

EFY Games Night--Provo 2A with Mogapi

Mogapi is I believe Swahili for "conquer" 

Mogapi Provo 2A

Me with my girls!

Pizza Night! I am pretty sure that I am not going to like pizza by the end of this summer!

Pizza Night!

Stairwell Selfie (it's an EFY thing)! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment