Sunday, May 13, 2012

"Love is an action, not just a feeling"

I have felt the Lord's hand in my life so much for the past little while! I've really been striving to put the Lord first in my life, which has been hard sometimes. Not because it's hard to put Him first, but because there are times when I want to do other things before. But I am truly grateful for His love that He constantly gives me and the support I receive from Him on a daily basis. God has helped calm my heart and mind, He's helped my wrists be okay while I've been practicing piano and cello, He's helped my voice grow and expand, He's blessed me with time to do homework and to play . . . I guess in short, God is good!

This weekend, I went to one of my dear friend's Senior Vocal Recital. She did such an amazing job! I'm so proud of her and all of her accomplishments! It made me really excited for my own recital (which I officially started working on on Friday)! I was invited to go to several different places after the recital, but I was so tired I decided to stay home and do homework. Right as I finished my homework, one of my roommates and a few of her friends walked in the door. They were jamming out on the piano and guitar; it was quite fun to listen to. I was called over to join them, and I did. I had a few really fun conversations with some of the young men there, mostly about music, poetry, and where they'd like to serve missions.

Yesterday I had the blessed opportunity to go to the temple. I'm so grateful for the beautiful temple that is on the hill! It just makes my day when I get to go. I've been doing really well this semester about going every week; I haven't missed one yet! When my roommate, Rebecca, and I walked into the temple the brother at the front desk said "Well, if it isn't the famous sister from the choirs and the conductor in devotionals!" I am convinced that I flushed a little bit (this has been happening a lot lately). He then continued by saying "I recognized you by your smile! You have such a great smile!" It was so sweet of him to say that! It was such a nice, spiritual experience yesterday in the temple. I love the peace that is felt there, even on the grounds! I love it there! =)

After I went to the temple, my other roommate, Cami, and I went to the Collegiate Singer's Opening Social. Oh my goodness, it was such a blast! We played a getting to know you game where we had all previously written down facts about us that nobody knew. We then had to go around and try to find out who wrote what. One of my friends, Devin, only gave me five guesses to get his . . . I got it on the fifth guess! Ha, I felt really lucky! We had a little BBQ and then played water-balloon volleyball. That turned into a little water fight, but not enough that it really cooled anybody off. We then played ultimate frisbee, the tenors and altos verses the sopranos and basses. The sopranos and basses won, but it was so much fun! We have some really good ultimate players and some really competitive people! That was when the BIG water fight started!! It felt so good! The bad news about yesterday was that I forgot sunscreen . . . I'm very red now! My arms in particular hurt; I'll have to add pictures soon so that you can see it! I'm trying to keep them cool and that has been helping; I'm hoping it will help it heal a little faster, but we'll see.

Last night was the best though! I stayed home because I was really tired. My roommates and some friends went to see The Avengers (which I still haven't seen yet; but I didn't want to pay $7.75 to go see it). I stayed home and watched part of a movie and felt that I needed to do something more productive. So, I started to read the book I got in the mail the other day called The Gifts of Imperfection by Brene Brown. It talked a little bit about love being an action verses just a saying. I looked around and tried to figure out what I could do for my roommates to show them that I loved them. The apartment wasn't the cleanest, so I cleaned it up! I did the dishes, I organized the living room, and then I wrote notes to each of them expressing my love for them. It was great! I felt so good! I also got to talk to one of the sisters in my ward who is struggling a little bit. It was nice to be there for her and to know that she feel comfortable talking to me. Life is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment