Sunday, September 16, 2012

This One's For the Girls . . .

Today I had the wonderful opportunity to go to my Stake Conference. All of the speakers there, I feel, were truly inspired to speak about what they did. There was such a wide spectrum of what was talked about. Everything from "Who am I?" to the Spirit of Elijah. There were several things that I thought of as I listened to them speak:

1. What do I think identifies who I am?
2. I am worth it!

So, my first thought occurred rather early in the conference as Elder Maynes asked the question: Who am I? He gave several things that people usually define us by: jobs, wealth, hobbies, and our spiritual identities. I started thinking about things that I have been identified by and this is where my message to all women comes in; don't worry about being identified by the world! One of the things that I've struggled with for a long time is my weight! I've never liked my weight and it isn't until recently that I've decided that I'm going to become truly dedicated to losing it (that's another story)! I always felt like I was ugly because I don't wear a size two pant or dress! I thought that that is how people identified me: the fat, blonde girl! I believe in being honest, so I'll tell you that I felt lower than dirt whenever I was out socializing!

Now, before I continue, let me quickly say that my views of myself are changing every day! So, I'm not asking for pity or anything of the sort! Rather, I'd like to share what I've been learning through those feelings and experiences (and don't worry, all of this still has to do with the thoughts I had at Stake Conference) because I believe that nobody deserves to feel that way! I can testify that you [sisters, and any brothers who read this despite the title ;) ] are beautiful just the way you are! If the world identifies you by your weight, height, eye color, or any other physical attribute that you may have they are not seeing the real you! You are so much more than what people see on the outside! What did I learn? I'm not a "fat, blonde girl"! But I, truly, am a daughter of my Heavenly Father. Not only that, but despite being over weight, I am my Heavenly Fathers daughter! I love the truth that I, and all of you, are beloved children of God. The song "I Am A Child of God" is true! There's no doubt of it in my mind!! Don't let people identify you purely by how you look on the outside, but don't you identify yourself by how you look on the outside either! "You are your toughest critic" and you can pick out all of your flaws within seconds of looking at yourself in the mirror! To quote President Uchtdorf, STOP IT!! Does God judge you based on your weight? Hair color? Shoe size? No! To Him, you are beautiful! Why would you call His creation, you, ugly or not good enough? Now, it isn't bad to get into shape or things like that. But when you continually degrade yourself, that is when all of this becomes a problem!

The second thought I had was that I am worth it! Isn't that an interesting thought? I actually thought it for the first time whilst I was doing my "Coming to Sarah Week". However, the thought occurred to me again today! Elder Dallin H. Oaks shared an analogy about wearing a jacket whilst star gazing, which was related to marriage. He quoted:

"Imagine that your favorite hobby is stargazing and you’ve just joined a stargazing club. You come to your first club activity eager to participate. It’s a cold night, but you’re not concerned: most of the club members are wearing club jackets, and you’ve been told you should be able to get one as well. But there is no jacket for you. You ask about it, and you are told to keep looking and that if you do your best, you will find a jacket when the time is right.


Meanwhile, you are getting pretty cold and a little worried. And you notice that most of the other club members are talking about how nice and warm their jackets are. In fact, throughout the evening the topic surfaces continually in various forms: how to wash and dry your jacket, how to add extra pockets, how to mend it, and so forth. Some of the club members notice you don’t have a jacket. “You really need a jacket for these activities,” they tell you. “Why don’t you have one yet?”
"
As he read this, of course we all had a really good laugh because, quite frankly, it's true! But, I'd like to testify to all of the sisters who are both single and married, you are worth it! Single sisters: the young man that you marry will be so blessed to have you in his life and you will be blessed to have him in yours! You are worth the wait; believe it! Married sisters: look at your husbands and realize that you were worth the wait and that he is blessed to have you in his life and vice versa! Going back to our identities: you are women and daughters of God and He loves you so much!
I testify that He loves you; He loves me! He doesn't just love us collectively, but He loves me individually! He knows my heart, my desires, my pains, and my struggles; He walks along right beside me through all of those times. God truly does succor His people! I know that that is true because I've seen it in my life every day! Today, I truly believe that He inspired these brothers and sisters to talk about what they did because I needed to hear every single message today! As President McCune (Provo, Utah Mission President) said: "God can make much more of my life than I can!" I believe that whole-heartedly!! As I've been striving to put God first in my life and improve who I am, I can say with full confidence that God truly has guided and directed me to where I should be. Not only that, but He truly is making much more of my life than I ever could have! Trust in Him and He truly will direct your path! Always remember that there is more to you than the surface and that you are worth it!
Pictures found online

1 comment:

  1. This is a handout that I made. They can be found at Storytime Handouts.

    ReplyDelete