Sunday, September 2, 2012

"My Kindness Shall Not Depart From Thee"

I just want to take a second to bear my testimony about God's love for all of His children. I know that I've said this a lot in the last few posts, but it is still true! That's one of the great things about truth: one, (when it has to do with gospel) it is universal; and two, one of the things God is knows as is "the light, the truth and the way". God doesn't change, therefore truth doesn't change.

I just read a CES Fireside talk by Elder Jeffrey R. Holland called Lessons from Liberty Jail. One of my favorite things to study and read is the D&C 121-122 because of the strength and comfort that the Lord blesses Joseph with. A little bit of background, these sections (and also 123) are when Joseph is in Liberty Jail. In the talk, Elder Holland talks about some of the conditions: it was the coldest winter that Missouri had on record at that time, Joseph and the other men didn't have a good source of warmth, they had a lack of nutrition--some of the men even tried to poison the men that were in Liberty, they were away from their families, and the church was still facing persecution. One of the biggest--and I would add bloodiest--events to take place while Joseph was in Liberty was the Haun's Mill massacre. It was said that the things that occured there were so bad it was "enough to make hell itself shudder, and to stand aghast and pale, and the hands of the very devil to tremble and palsy." (D&C 123:10) All of these horrible things were happening and Joseph prayed fervently for the Saints: "O God, where art thou?"
There are many times in my life when I cry out to God and ask for His help. I want to bear testimony that He has heard every one of my cries and prayers! I confess, I'm not sure how He can hear my prayer and that person in Germany or Texas or even China who is praying at the same time I am, but I know He does! I testify that God is always there with His arm stretched out to me. In 1 Nephi 21 it talks about how Christ cannot forget any of God's children because He has engraven us upon His hands. I testify that that is true. I know that Christ suffered for my sins; Kellie made an interesting point about what a "sin" is today in Relief Society. She said: "A sin is anything that takes our life out of balance." Christ suffered for my sins, including: my physical pains, my emotional pains, my insecurities, my mistakes, and so many other things. Elder Holland said: “But whenever these moments of our extremity come, we must not succumb to the fear that God has abandoned us or that He does not hear our prayers. He does hear us. He does see us. He does love us. When we are in dire circumstances and want to cry “Where art Thou?” it is imperative that we remember He is right there with us—where He has always been! We must continue to believe, continue to have faith, continue to pray and plead with heaven, even if we feel for a time our prayers are not heard and that God has somehow gone away. He is there. Our prayers are heard. And when we weep He and the angels of heaven weep with us.” I know that this is true because I've experienced it in my own life, whether they have been big things or little things. Now, just because He always answers my prayers doesn't mean He always answers "Yes". There have been times when He has told me "Not now" or "Be patient" and even "No", but I do know that He answers my prayers.

I know that God loves all of His children and there is nothing that we can do to change that love. One of the words that is used in the scriptures is the word succor which means, to run to. Sometimes, when I think about that word I imagine that some of us--and I know that I can be included in this list sometimes--try to run away. When we run, He follows. He doesn't just watch us run away because He loves us. But He runs closely behind us so that, when we choose, we can turn around and He will be right there behind us with His arms outstretched and ready to help you through the hard times. His kindness will not depart from you! You are His child and He loves you more than we can physically comprehend right now. The closing song for the CES Fireside was "My Kindness Shall Not Depart From Thee" which has become one of my favorite songs. I encourage you to watch this video where you hear Elder Holland's powerful and true testimony and then the beautiful musical number: My Kindness Shall Not Depart From Thee. ". . . know thou, my son [or daughter], that all these things shall give thee experience, and shall be for they good. The Son of Man hath descended below them all. Art thou greater than he? Therefore, hold on thy way . . . therefore, fear not what man can do, for God shall be with you forever and ever." (D&C 122:7-9)

No comments:

Post a Comment