Friday, January 18, 2013

Noyana

So, I just got back from a BYU Vocal Point Concert and I've got to tell you that it was such a spiritual experience! You wouldn't think it would be with all of the music that they did, but it truly made me think about the changes that are going on in my life and just how truly grateful I am for my Heavenly Father and Mother, but also my earthly Father and Mother. One of the most touching songs that was performed was Danny Boy. Most people know that song, but one of the members of Vocal Point wrote a third verse that completely changed the meaning of that song! Danny Boy is normally about a lover writer a man who has left her. Instead, they portrayed it as a Father who is saying good-bye to his son. When I performed it for my vocal jury, Brother Peck thought that it would be an interesting twist if I performed it like I was the mother of the young man who left. The last verse goes like this:

"O Danny Boy, the stream flows cool and slowly;
And pipes still call and echo 'cross the glen.
Your broke mother sighs and feels so lowly,
For you have not returned to smile again.
So if you've died and crossed the stream before us,
We pray that angels met you on the shore;
And you'll look down, and gently you'll implore us
To live so we may see your smiling face once more."

WOW! I felt a greater appreciation for my Mother and Father and the constant love and support that they give me.

Another piece they sang was called Noyana/Come, Come Ye Saints. The word "noyana" is African for "are you going to get there?" What a powerful invitation, to come to Christ and then being asked if I'm going to get there. I loved it! There's such a powerful spirit when there is testimony associated with it! I think that's what I love about music so much; I find testimony of Christ in every song that I sing, listen to, and so forth. God is real! God is true! I know that He loves me and has given me such wonderful experiences--even if some of them are hard--so that I can become all that I can and should be! I love Him dearly!!! He's been such a rock in my life!

So now, I extend the invitation to all who are reading this: Come, come ye saints; noyana?

No comments:

Post a Comment