Saturday, February 16, 2013

Wisdom Teeth Scare

Yesterday was quite an emotional day for me. It all started very well though! I went down to Provo with my mother and sister; Deborah was getting her wisdom teeth out in preparation for her mission. Because the office only allowed one relative to be in the waiting room I went over to the HFAC (Harris Fine Arts Center) at BYU and practiced. It was one of the most intimidating things I've ever done in my life! Dang, all of these people are amazing at what they do! It was cool to hear all of the different practicing techniques, but I think that's what intimidated me the most! I knew that I was at a different level--a lower level--than they were. But, it was all good! I had a great practice and I was excited about the things my voice was doing!

After I practiced I began walking up the stairs when I heard music coming from The Slab/Fishbowl. I walked up the stairs and watched as a harpist, cellist, and vocalist performed a small recital! The vocalist sang one of the hardest pieces I've ever heard called "Glitter and Be Gay" from Leonard Bernstein's Candid. She did a very good job, considering the difficulty level! But they all did a fantastic job!

I then left to go pick up my sister and mother; here is where things got really emotional. They wheeled Deborah out in a wheelchair, as she got closer to me I could see her big blue eyes filled with tears. When they opened the sliding door I could hear small sobs; she was in a lot of pain. The nurse and my Mom worked together to get her into the van. Then, my Mom asked if I would be willing to drive so that she could sit in the back with Deborah. I did and it was the worst drive of my life! I could hear Deborah sobbing and she couldn't speak. She was having to finger spell everything. She kept telling us that she loved us and that she was sorry (what she was sorry for, we still don't know). At one point during the drive she said that she couldn't see very well; we attributed that to the medicine they had given her so they could do the surgery. The longer I drove the more she talked about her breathing as well. She was having a hard time and I couldn't stand but accelerate every time she mentioned it (I ended up going about 75 most of the way home instead of the 65). Closer to the end of the drive Deborah got sick.

When we got home she was able to get inside and we lay her on the couch. While Mom went to go get her medicine and I stayed with her and contacted Brother Glissmeyer from my home ward. He, along with another Brother, came over and gave Deborah a Priesthood blessing. Can I just say how grateful I am for these worthy men who were able to come and, through the power of God, bless my sister who was in such pain! At one point, while Mom was gone, Deborah and I were hand in hand. Mom told me to keep an eye on her breathing, so I sat close by her. As we were holding hands she adjusted hers so that we were in position to have a thumb war! Ha, it was nice to see that she could still smile a little bit through her actions while she was in such immense pain.

I'm, again, so grateful for those men who could come and give her a blessing. It was heart-breaking for me to see her like that. Today, she's doing much better! I'm sure the medicine had something to do with it, but I think the Lord is who I really need to thank! My sister is still a little under the weather, but she is so much better than she was yesterday! It was a scare, but it ended up being a huge blessing too.

No comments:

Post a Comment