Friday, February 1, 2013

Barbershop!

Well, it's the first day of February and . . . I'm exhausted! I've been doing really well with exercising almost every day (I normally miss one day a week), but I think I might be pushing myself a little harder than I should be. I mean, it's good to go to the gym, it's good to work out, but I sometimes feel that I might be pushing myself a little hard. Maybe it isn't even that; maybe it's that I'm not eating as much as I should. I think that, as I've been watching what I eat I actually haven't been eating enough! That's no good! It's okay though, I'm going to change that!

Anyway, now that I've gotten that out of my system I just got out of my Barbershop Festival audition. I get really nervous when I audition, but not so much when I perform (given, I still get nervous when I perform, but not nearly as much). The quartet that I've been a part of since Winter/Spring of 2009 has changed so much over the last few years! There have been three members that have stayed consistent over those years: Nykele, Kyrsten, and I. The fourth person has changed almost every time we've performed! We started out with Stephanie who was our baritone (and whom was in the group the longest), then Cameo who was our lead, and now we have Miranda who is also our new lead. It's quite funny how much we've changed because of the different people we have each year!

This year we're singing "I Will Follow Him" from the movie Sister Act. Cool fact, the original quartet sang this first. We were called "The Chromatics" and I recently listened to our recording . . . it was BAD!!! Fortunately, we're quite a bit more experienced and vocally developed than we were four years ago. Anyway, we went in and started to sing and I feel we did fairly well. The "judges" were a quartet called Vocal Spectrum. I haven't listened to a lot of their stuff; but what I've heard is really good!! It was funny to watch Nina who was holding Gabby (Kyrsten's little boy). He was having a hard time; by the time we started our tag he let out a scream and made us laugh--well, he made me laugh. I felt really bad because I totally missed one of my notes because of it! But, you know what, it's all water under the bridge! We made it in! So, we are going to sing in the 6:00 show tomorrow night! I'm very, very excited!!! This is my senior year and the last Barbershop Festival that I can be a part of! So, I'm really excited to--hopefully--go out with a bang! So, tomorrow night Feb. 2 at 6:00 pm it's going to be AWESOME!!!

This is Vocal Spectrum! Picture via

No comments:

Post a Comment