Sunday, June 3, 2012

A Touching Graduation

This past week I had the blessed opportunity to return to my hometown, Heber, and see my little sister graduate from High School. At the very beginning, I remember feeling as if I was going through a little bit of culture shock. The last four graduations I've been to have been here at BYU-Idaho, which means there's a dress standard that is upheld and there is no cheering or yelling, just clapping. Needless to say, the high school was different. I saw girls in clothing that wasn't BYU-Idaho approved, and it took me a minute to remember that I wasn't there currently. There was clapping, cheering, yelling, and even some blow-horns and, again, it took me a minute to feel comfortable with doing the same. The language that was used by people around me (not my family) was very different than what I was used to hearing. I started to feel really uncomfortable before the ceremony even started (we were there about thirty minutes early) and it continued for the first little bit of the ceremony. (*This is a side note: It isn't that what these people were doing was bad or anything, I just wasn't use to it. So, I felt a little uneasy about it.)

Those uneasy feelings went away as the Co-Valedictorians began to speak. They talked about the things they learned in high school, but it wasn't curriculum. They learned about themselves, to love others, and their messages were very powerful; I felt the spirit very strongly as they spoke. Shortly after there was an Honorary Diploma given; this was one of the highlights of the graduation. A Senior, by the name of Kalem, passed away earlier this year (he was swimming in Deer Creek reservoir and drowned). Kalem was a fantastic young man, I had only met him a few times but he was very sweet. At graduation, the school board called Brother and Sister Franco up to give them Kalem's diploma. The room was silent as the school board talked about the diploma and about Kalem. As his parents came up and received the diploma, the hall burst out into applause (there was no cheering, yelling, or blow-horns). Brother Franco opened up the diploma and turned to the class of 2012; they began to applaud and stood up, the rest of the hall followed. It was very touching to see and to feel that spirit there.

Shortly after the choir got up to sing "The Long Winding Road" by the Beatles. First of all, it was beautifully performed! I, again, felt the spirit very strongly during that number. Second, Mr. Reynolds (the choir director) really loves what he does. As he turned around to sit back down in his seat I saw him fight back tears. I've never seen Mr. Reynolds get emotional, but it was very touching to see him that way. He truly loves his students.

I'm so proud of my little sister and for the accomplishments she has had. She is one of the most sincere people I've ever met; she has such a sweet spirit that not only shines through her actions, but also in her eyes. I've looked up to her a lot for multiple reasons, one of them being that she isn't afraid to be herself. She isn't afraid to try out new things, do what she loves, and be who she is. I admire that very much about her! Little Sisdre, I love you so much! Congrats on graduating!!! =D


No comments:

Post a Comment