Friday, November 22, 2013

One Day at a Time

A few weeks ago I shared my crazy, stressful schedule for the month of November. I'm almost done!!! I don't have school today, which has been absolutely wonderful! But the biggest lesson I've learned from this is one day at a time. It's like in the movie What About Bob? where he talks about "Baby Steps" Making those small goals that will ultimately help you reach your big goal. At the beginning of the month, Thanksgiving break seemed so far away! I wasn't sure how I was going to have enough energy to make it there! But here I am, because I took it one day at a time. Now, there really isn't any way I can take it another way. But, you get the point!

My mentor teacher, Joie, and I have an on-going joke. In September we had a crazy insane week ahead of us and we weren't sure how we were going to get through that week. On Wednesday of that week I looked over at her and said, "Hey, remember when it was Monday?" Now, whenever we have a stressful week, we say to each other "Remember when it was Monday?" This week was no exception! There wasn't a lot of teaching involved for me this last week, but it was exhausting all the same! After school yesterday Joie looks at me and says, "Sarah, remember when it was Monday!?" No joke, I felt a huge wave of relief wash over me as I realized I had made it through the most stressful month of my life! But I've learned so much from this experience:

  1. Recognize what you can control and what you can't control.
    1. This, no joke, was a break-through for me! I had been so focused on trying to change things that I couldn't control! It was causing added stress to my life and that is not something that I (or really anybody) needed in my life.
  2. The Lord provides you with strength to get through the tasks that He needs you to accomplish.
    1. You know, Nephi was really onto something when he said, "I know that the Lord giveth no commandment unto the children of men save He shall prepare a way for them, that they may accomplish the things which He hath commanded them." Now, I'm not saying that God commanded me to be in Nampa and to work Spamalot or anything like that! But, I do believe that He put me here and that I'm here for a reason! I know that God has helped  me by giving me energy and strength so that I am capable of doing the things that He needs me to do.
  3. "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life"
    1. Alright, so Spamalot has really gotten into my head of late. But I love the message of this song! In this particular scene Arthur and Patsy have been asked to find a shrubbery by the dreaded Knights of Ni. Arthur feels like all hope is lost and that he will never find the Holy Grail. Patsy (and the other knights), on the other hand, feels that you must "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" Every day, God has blessed me with small, simple, and wonderful things! A couple of days ago I was really feeling negatively and was just stressed! What did God do? He gave me rain! Why? Because He knows how much I love rain! It then cleared away in time for me to see an incredible sun set! There are good things that happen in our lives daily! Yesterday I found joy in: drinking two cups of hot chocolate, receiving a new hoodie, and having an awesome rehearsal in Camerata! To anybody else, those seem silly! To me, they are things of comfort!
  4. One Day at a Time & Live in the Moment
    1. I can't live in two times at once, I'm not a Time Lord (Happy 50th Anniversary Doctor!)! And looking at it, even He can't! It's a "wibbly wobbly, timey wimey . . . stuff!" So why worry about all the things that need to get done tomorrow when what you currently have is today? Yes, if you have something due for tomorrow do it! But when do you do it? Today!
Student teaching has taught me so many different things and I'm so excited to learn even more over the next few weeks!

Via Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment