Thursday, October 6, 2011

Homecoming: Rise and Shout!

Wow, it's Thursday already! This past week has been quite the adventure!

Monday morning I worked at Dairy Keen. While I was at work I received a phone call from Barbara Phillips (the lady in charge of the Talent Find during the county fair). She was asking if I would be willing to sing a musical number (or two) at the Senior Citizen center that night. I accepted and immediately got very nervous and excited! I decided to sing "Danny Boy" and "How Great Thou Art". I tried finding an accompanist, but to no avail. It was time for me to sing and I felt incredibly nervous! The room was packed with people and there were even some people sitting outside the doors (namely other people that would be performing and their parents). I was introduced and then took a moment to get myself ready to sing "Danny Boy". I know that I hit some wrong notes, but I don't think they cared. After I sang the hall roared with applause. I could feel such a powerful energy emanating from the audience; my fears left me instantly! I went over, hit my beginning note for "How Great Thou Art" and started to sing, bearing my testimony to everyone that Christ will come again! When I finished, I felt a wave of relief, satisfaction, and warmth wash over me. I took a bow and gave the mic back to Barbara. As I returned to my seat to collect my things, I was stopped by many. Some of them had tears in their eyes, but bright smiles. I know that the Spirit of the Lord touched them! After that I went to the Singles' Ward FHE and played volleyball. It was a good activity for me because my adrenaline was really going after performing!

Tuesday was quite fun as well! This week, at BYU, it is Homecoming. During their usual Devotional hour, they held an "Opening Ceremony" thing for Homecoming week. I had the wonderful opportunity to meet up with one of my friends from BYU-Idaho who recently returned from his mission, Logan Hayden. We watched the opening ceremonies together. It was really cool, for me, to learn a little bit more about BYU's College of Fine Arts. The person they are honoring this year is Garrett De Jong (spelling?). Garrett was hired by President Harris (the President of BYU at the time) to create the College of Fine Arts at BYU. At the same time, he was offered a job teaching languages at the University of Utah. Needless to say, he took the job at BYU. When this was mentioned during the presentation, the entire audience erupted with applause and cheers. I couldn't help but laugh; I looked over at Logan and commented that "BYU isn't competitive at all!" But it was a lot of fun! Later that day, I went in to work. It was hard that day; most of the people there were being very pessimistic and it was really hard to be around. Going home was such a blessing when the time came.

Wednesday was quite fun as well! I had the great opportunity to see Cassandra and go to the temple with her yesterday (like we try to do every Wednesday). While we were in the temple I saw another friend, Emily, and got to talk to her for a little bit. I have some of the greatest friends in the world! As I spoke with both of them, it was wonderful to feel their testimonies and feel their love as well! What great people! Cassandra and I went to her place after baptisms and had Heath Bar pancakes! Ha ha, we were just experimenting, but it was pretty good! I got to spend most of the day in Provo yesterday. I went and looked at the museum at BYU; beautiful paintings!!! It is so cool! My friend Logan Hendricks (yes, a different Logan than the previous day) and I were supposed to hike to the Y. But it was raining and we both decided that it was a poor idea to do so. So instead, we had ice cream at the BYU Creamery. We stayed there and talked for a little bit! Afterward, I decided that I needed to go home because I smelled like chlorine from the baptismal font! But I returned to Provo later that evening to watch Divine Comedy's tech rehearsal! It was funny, but I could tell they needed a little bit more work before Friday! They did a spoof off of Aladdin! During the scene where Jafar makes a wish to be "President over all of the BYU's" (in the real movie he wishes to be "the most powerful genie in the world") Aladdin responds "Jafar, aren't you forgetting something? Not only do you have BYU Provo and BYU Hawaii, but you also have BYU-Idaho and all of the restrictions that go with it!" I cracked up!!! My favorite one may have been "The Blind Date Who Lived". It was Whitney who was set-up on a blind date with Tom Riddle (from Harry Potter). Tom shows Whitney that he has a wand and she responds by saying: "Oo, you'r a magician? Show me a magic trick!" Tom snickers and says turns to the waiter "Avada Kedavra!" He says, and the waiter drops dead. Tom then turns to Whitney and says, "That's really the only trick I know!" Ha ha ha, I couldn't stop from laughing. It was really funny!

The rest of this week will be pretty fun! I'm working, going to a wedding reception, watching my sister sing in All-State Choir; yeah, it'll be a good week! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment