Wednesday, October 12, 2011

"You is kind, you is smart, you is important"

Last night I went on a date with a young man named Colton. We ended up going to Cafe Rio for dinner; can I just say it's amazing food! I don't go there that often, but it was delicious! I've only been there a few times, and both times I got the chicken salad. So, I asked Colton what his favorite thing was. He recommended a pork something burrito. It was delicious! We had a nice talk about his mission, what we're studying in school, things we liked to do. It was a lot of fun!

After dinner, we walked over to the movie theatre to watch "The Help". It's a movie based off of a novel about black maids during the Civil Rights movement. As I watched, I couldn't help but feel a greater appreciation for my own parents and the fact that they have always been there for me. They care about me and love me to no end. This movie was truly inspiring! It was sad to how women would treat their children. They wouldn't even give them the time of day let alone tuck them into bed! The only real mothers they had was "the help". Abeline, the main character, would tell one of the little girls "You is kind, you is smart, you is important". They would say it together every day, several times a day. It was truly touching! The ride home was a little quiet. I really didn't have a lot to say after the movie, so we were fairly quiet. At one point on the ride home he asked what I was doing today (Oct. 12). I told him that on Wednesday mornings at about 7:00 am I go to the temple with one of my friends. He replied by saying: "Oh, well I hope I didn't keep you out too late. Then again, a pretty girl like yourself probably doesn't need a lot of beauty sleep." I didn't really know what to say, so I responded by saying "You'd be surprised!" It was kind of silly! He sounded very sincere, but I was surprised by my reaction to what he said. It was slightly out of character for me to say that; but I didn't know what else to say.

The thing I've learned is "You is kind, you is smart, you is important". Don't let others tell you what you are or what you will be. That is something that you decide for yourself due to your actions and how you view yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment