Monday, July 30, 2012

The Olive Tree

Recently I was reading in the Book of Mormon in the book of "Jacob". I was reading chapter five (more commonly known as the allegory of the Olive Tree) and I had some interesting thoughts as I was reading it. Typically, the symbol of the olive tree is the House of Israel and the allegory is about the gathering of Israel. Yet, as I read it I couldn't help but feel and interpret something different. How I interpreted it suited my life perfectly where I am right now.

In a couple of the verses, the Master of the Vineyard (Christ) and his servant (Christ's followers) try to save an olive tree that is dying. They graft some good branches from a different olive tree onto the one that is growing wild fruit. When I got to verse sixteen I had a thought, it says:
"And it came to pass that the Lord of the vineyard, and also the servant, went down into the vineyard to labor. . ." That little bit struck me, and I had the thought that I'm never alone! When I go about my day and strive to bring others to Christ, He is there laboring with me!

A few verses later I had the thought that I could also represent the olive tree. There are times in my life when I have some "wild branches" grafted into me. That can symbolize bad choices I make or people that are (and shouldn't be) in my life. If I let them, those bad influences/wild branches can take over and I can become like them and become farther from God's presence. However, I can also take those wild branches and help them bring forth good fruit. I can be the roots (as I am the tree) and help them come unto God.
Picture found at: http://grizzlywriter.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/olive-tree.jpg
Another thing I learned is that those wild branches can symbolize experiences in my life, or anybody's life for that matter. We all have bad times and trials that we go through, we can either let those wild branches take over us or we can take them and learn from them. We can continue to bring forth good fruit and help others learn from our experiences.

Another quick thing I thought of; during this chapter, the Master of the vineyard continually asks "What could I have done more for my vineyard?" and the servant responds "Spare it a little longer." In those hard experiences, we sometimes as "What could I have done differently?" when in all reality there wasn't anything we could have done differently. Given, there are times when it is because of the choices that we make that we get into some of the situations that we do. But we also have trials because of choices of others. Elder Quentin L. Cook of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles said: 

"There are many kinds of challenges . . . [they] are not evidence of lack of faith or of an imperfection in our Father in Heaven's overall plan. The refiner's fire is real, and qualities of character and righteousnes that are forged in the furnace of affliction perfect and purify us and prepare us to meet God . . . Some challenges result from the agency of others . . . Some challenges come from disobedience to God's laws . . . For those who think the trials they face are unfair, the Atonement covers all of the unfairness of life." (Ensign, Nov. 2011 p. 106)

Joseph Smith suffered so many different challenges, and yet it didn't negatively affect who he was. Whenever I go through a trial, I've started reading Doctrine and Covenants 122; there are 15 "if" statements that the Lord says unto Joseph which do, ultimately, end up happening to him. They are some of the trials that he would (and had) face(d). Then, at the end of 7, the Lord says: "know thou, my son, that all these thing shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good." If we let the wild branches, they can be for our good.
Picture found at: http://www.abruzzopassion.com/2079070472_f7af1b6dcb.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment