Wednesday, June 19, 2013

"A Wrinkle In Time"

This past weekend I had the wonderful opportunity to go home and try to get things ready for my recital next week. My friend, Helen, and I travelled down to Heber Friday evening and spent most of the day Saturday practicing our individual instruments. However, we took a couple of hours out of our day to go see BYU's production of A Wrinkle in Time. I had been receiving e-mails about BYU's production for a few months and I finally decided to read it. This year is the 50th anniversary of the book, so I figured I might as well read it! I read it in a couple of days and absolutely fell in love with it! It's such a fun book!

As I thought about it, I was curious as to how BYU was going to do this as a play. There were some things that just seemed like it would be really hard to do on stage. Oh my goodness, it was amazing! The actors had games for the children in the audience to play to learn more about dimensions, planets, and so on. It was sweet to see the children learning about things that the show was going to mention. It was quite fantastic! The audience/children was also included during the performance. The actors would have them recall the information about things they had learned previously to the show. It was wonderful!

I actually got in "trouble" during part of the show. I don't remember what Mrs. Which said, but she said something. Some of the audience laughed; she turned to them and said, "It's not funny." I began to laugh and she turned to me and said, "I said, it's NOT funny!" The actor playing Charles Wallace turned to me and apologized. It was really hard for me not to laugh after that. I wish I could explain how well done this play was! There was such imagination used in the costumes, set, and just all around! There was so much left up for the audience to interpret, which I thought was fantastic! The cast did such a great job, as did the sound and light technicians! Honestly, one of the best plays I've ever been to!

I have to share my favorite part! When Meg is going up against IT and she exclaims that she just needs to be herself; for some reason that hit me. I think that that could be an overarching theme for the entire play; we don't need to be anybody else but ourselves, why should we want to be?

No comments:

Post a Comment