Sunday, June 30, 2013

Recital Day!!!

Well, today is the day! I am so ferociously stoked! I've been preparing for this for five years and it's finally here! I've got a dress that I LOVE, I feel prepared on all of my songs, and I feel all-around really good! The nerves are starting to kick in, but that's normal.

On Wednesday night I did a run-through with Brother Peck in the Recital Hall. It was fantastic! There's one song in particular that we had run earlier that day in my lesson . . . and that's the only song we ran. We were laughing so hard in my lesson that we couldn't really get through the piece! Wednesday night was no exception! It was hilarious!

Update:
I'm finished!!! I've been working on this for five years and I finally finished! Oh my goodness, the relief that I felt after was overwhelming! Mirisha and I also got a standing ovation! It was an incredible experience! My day was crazy! I needed to go to the store to get flowers for Brother Peck, Sheryl, and Sydney. The one's at Albertson's were cheaper, but I don't have a car (Albertson's is 1.5 miles away from where I live) . . . so, I decided to walk! Not the brightest idea I've ever had. It was about 89 degrees and I was dying most of the way there and back! When I got home, I still needed to cut up fruit and get things ready for that night! I started to feel stress and anxiety settle in; I knew that I was supposed to take it easy so that I could have the best recital possible. However, I'm not very good at "taking it easy". At about 2:30 I went over to the Snow building to get ready. My friend and accompanist, Sheryl, did my hair and make-up. At one point during the "getting ready" process, Sheryl said it was time for my first surprise. She pulled out these little, sparkly, twisty things that you put in your hair. They were beautiful! Later on she pulled out jewelry that, again, was beautiful! Needless to say, I felt very spoiled!

My family met up with us at about 4:30. They came, we talked, and then they left to grab dinner. Sheryl and I both got dressed and then went to warm-up. My nerves started to rise from my stomach to my throat, as did my excitement! Finally, it came time to perform! I felt so excited! When I walked out, I was told that people kind of gasped and awed because of how I looked! I felt beautiful! Not just pretty or cute, but beautiful! The recital, looking back, feels like a giant blur! All I could remember was that I was going in, singing, and then coming back out for a break! I felt amazing! My final song, I was incredibly excited for! The song is called "The Serpent", by Lee Hoiby. It's the song that we ran Wednesday and I couldn't get through because I was laughing so hard! I'm pleased to say that I didn't laugh at all when I sang it during my recital!

I'm so grateful that I had the opportunity to do my recital this semester! It was such a fun thing to do . . . I kind of want to do it again! I'm so grateful for all of the love and support from my friends and family! I honestly don't think I could have done this without any of them! Next stop, graduation! :D

Recital!! *Note: One of my favorite things about all of these pictures is that you can see my tan/burn line on my chest. At least we know that I'm a modest person!

Mine and Mirisha's poster

My wonderful family drove 4+ hours to come see me sing for thirty minutes! I love them!

My wonderful friend and accompanist Sheryl. She's been with me since my first semester and it has truly been a blessing to grown with her!

I had the blessed opportunity to sing with this wonderful young woman, Sydney. She is absolutely incredible and I feel truly honored to have been able to sing with her!

No comments:

Post a Comment