Sunday, December 11, 2011

"Rejoice Greatly, O Daughter of Zion"

Sunday I got to hear part of one of the greatest Oratorios ever written, "The Messiah". I know, I'm the worst music major in the world; but what a blessing it was to listen to such powerful songs about the birth of my Savior, Jesus Christ. During this time of year, it never ceases to amaze me how much I forget the purpose. Despite the fact that I'm 21 years old, I still forget that there is a purpose behind this season. I know that Christ was born of humble circumstances, in a stable. And yet, even the animals knew that He was the son of God. I remember when I did "Savior of the World" this past year, there was a scene where the shepherds came and saw the baby Jesus. The angel had told the shepherds to share the news that the Christ child was born. The youngest shepherd went up to Mary and Joseph and said, "My father wants me to start by telling you." He then repeated the message that the angel said unto them.

I love that they felt the need to tell Mary and Joseph. They already knew that He was the son of God; but to have it reaffirmed was very powerful! "For behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord." During this season, I am striving to remember my Savior and His birth. But also His life and death; I love this gospel and all that I learn and gain from it. God is real, and so is His son--our brother--Jesus Christ! God is there for us, all we must do is ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment