Saturday, October 20, 2012

Ward Temple Night

So, last night was our Heber YSA Ward temple night. We were to meet at the church at 5:30 so that we could be there in time for the 7:30 session. I arrived at the church at 5:28 and there was nobody there! I started to get nervous, and then Brother and Sister McKee pulled up. When 5:40 or 5:45 rolled around, it was still just us sitting in the parking lot. Then, the Bishop and his wife pulled up! So, there were five of us total and we drove down to the temple. Sister Brown kept teasing about how she was sorry that I had to "hang out with the senior citizens". I laughed, but I didn't care their age or anything; it was just good to be among friends. As we drove down, Bishop turned around to me and asked what was the "latest gossip" with some of the couples in the ward! I laughed and told him what I knew (which wasn't a lot) and he then turned it onto me, "Who are you dating?" He asked excitedly!
"I'm not." I responded, not sadly but not nearly as enthusiastically as he had asked me.
"We'll have to change that!" He responded happily and with a twinkle in his eye.

Brother Coombs (member of the Bishopric) and Glen (a young single adult) met up with the McKee's and the Brown's at the temple. They went through and did an endowment session while I went downstairs and participated in baptisms for the dead. It never ceases to amaze me that I get to help others who have died get a chance at accepting the gospel. As I stand proxy for them, I truly feel their love (and sometimes their acceptance) for the work that is being done.

I finished quite a bit earlier than the rest, so I waited in the foyer for them. I read from the Book of Mormon and from Sister Holland's book A Quiet Heart. I also had the wonderful opportunity to see one of my old roommates while I was at the temple! I had no idea she was living in Orem at this time, but we had a wonderful chance to catch up for a few minutes. After a little while they came out and we went out to eat a Zupas! It's a place in Provo where they serve soup, sandwiches, and salads! As I got up to order I felt very overwhelmed by their menu! I had no idea what to get or what was good. I ended up getting the Shanghai Chicken Salad with some Chicken Enchilada Chili soup (and whenever you order something you get bread and a chocolate dipped strawberry with it. I didn't eat mine, I gave it to Glen because I wasn't hungry)! Boy was it good!

My friend Glen and I sat next to each other and, though I was rather quiet, we had some good conversations! At one point during the night he asked me if I spoke any other languages. I laughed and told him that I pretend to! As part of my major I've had the blessed opportunity to take diction classes for: Italian, French, Latin, and German. If you put something that is written in any of those languages in front of me, I can read it! However, I don't necessarily know what it means. I can pick out parts of it, but not by any means all of it! It was great to talk to him and get to know him a little better.

As we traveled home it took all of my strength not to fall asleep! Not because I was bored by any means, but because I was so tired! I am proud to say that I didn't fall asleep, but that I was able to carry a conversation with the others in the car! I have such a fantastic ward and I'm so grateful for the opportunity I have to associate myself with such wonderful people!

No comments:

Post a Comment